Almas Jiwani, President of UN Women Canada National Committee and CEO of Frontier Canada Inc, is a fiercelyvocal and internationally renowned champion for gender equality and women’s social, economic, and politicalempowerment. S he spearheads the initiative of corporate growth in relation to humanitarian development.
A model of perseverance and determination, Ms. Jiwani’s efforts to strengthen women’s economic capacity asentrepreneurs and producers has earned her accolades. She plays a crucial role in building networks amongcharitable institutions and socially responsible businesses. She has fostered pivotal ties between UN Women andthe Inter-Parliamentary Forum of the Americas (FIPA) and the Parliamentary Confederation of Americas (COPA).
Ms. Jiwani is a powerful and influential speaker and she has travelled across the globe to deliver keynoteaddresses, speeches, and presentations on improving the status of women. She addressed over 400parliamentarians from 42 countries on the benefits of economically empowering women and the roles andresponsibilities of parliamentarians at the International Assembly in the Dominican Republic and Quebec City.More recently, she addressed the Pan Africa Media Conference, Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, World Bank,Women in Leadership Forum in Abu Dhabi, African Development Bank conference, and the World Forumalongside Nobel Peace Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu and holistic health/New Age guru Deepak Chopra.
In 2012, Ms. Jiwani made history as a state visitor in Pakistan when she addressed one million women ongender inequality. In June 2012, she was appointed as a Global Ambassador of Peace by the Universal PeaceFederation. She is a member of the Global Advisory Board of Women in Leadership – NASEBA Corporation inthe Middle East and Dean, Faculty of Law at Istanbul University in Turkey, Pamoja Kenya Mentorship Allianceand Global Warming Prevention Technologies.
Ms. Jiwani has gained international recognition and commendations from governments and the media:
- In a letter sent to the UN Women Headquarters, Ms. Jiwani received the utmost praise from the Prime Minister of Uganda for her contributions to promote gender equality in Africa.
- In April 2012, Ms. Jiwani partnered with the government of Indonesia to help draft a bill and develop and implement gender equitable policies in the country.
- She has been interviewed by Peter Mansbridge, chief correspondent of CBC News, on “One on One” and Steve Paikin of TVOs “The Agenda”. She has also been interviewed on CTV, Rogers TV, and OMNI TV networks.
- Nation Media has featured Ms. Jiwani’s speeches, interviews, and achievements on several occasions.
- LifeStyles published an extensive interview highlighting Ms. Jiwani’s achievements and passion for global gender equality, R.S.V.P. Magazine published a multiple-page editorial on Ms. Jiwani’s work, and Women’s Post declared Ms. Jiwani a “Woman to Watch in 2012.”
- In a recent interview with CBC, senior business correspondent Amanda Lang said of Almas Jiwani, She is a force of nature evidence of how much power an individual can have is in Almas. The things that she’s capable of doing, the people she brings together, the fact that she just spoke to a million people in Pakistan… And she spoke to us in so many languages…”
Almas Jiwani has been honored with numerous Awards globally for her work on gender equity and women’s empowerment:
- Gender, Environment & Sustainability – GWPT, Toronto 2013
- African Women in Leadership Excellence Award – Nigeria 2013
- MDG Meritorious Award – Women Advancement -South Africa, 2013
- International African Women Development Award – Paris, France, 2013
- Woman of Courage Award – Interim Place, Toronto 2013
- Champion of Diversity – Women of Influence, Toronto 2012
- Tribute Award for outstanding contribution to Gender Equality – Rogers’ Immigration talk show 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal – 2012
- Global Ambassador of Peace – 2012
- Women to Watch in 2012
- Tribute Award -Salon International de la Femme 2011
- International Humanitarian Award – Uganda – 2010
- Commemorative Stamp, Government of Greece – 2010
- Artemis Goddess Award, Government of Greece – 2010
- Induction into Women’s Hall of Fame- Greece – 2010
- Women of Week – Toronto – 2010
- United Nations Fund for Women “Life Time Honorary Member” Award – 2009
- Governor General’s Caring Award, Governor General of Canada – 2008
- Elected International Spokesperson for Gender Equality, Sophia2010 – 2008
- Women of Substance Recognition, Africa International Trade Conference – 2007
- 15 Years of Voluntary Service, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration – 2006
- “The Stone in Water Award” From Minister of Foreign Affairs for successful execution of the National Afghan Women Roundtable, and the report from the Canadian Committee on Women, Peace and Security – 2005