Almas Jiwani, President of Emeritus UN Women Canada NC and CEO of Almas Jiwani Foundation, is a fiercely vocal champion for gender equality. She is internationally renowned for her efforts to encourage women’s social, economic, and political empowerment. She spearheads initiatives where corporate growth intersects with humanitarian development.
Empowering young women and girls is beyond a mission and driving force for Almas Jiwani; It is a passionate commitment to equality and integrity that is deeply woven into every initiative, project and partnership.
Almas’ social enterprise and social impact venture is working to create step changes in the lives of those most desperately impacted in developing regions of the world. As CEO, Almas’ Leadership and Vision light a path toward enduring positive change by introducing fundamental enabling solutions and technologies.
Guided by her incredible experience, understanding and bold approach to international solution and consensus building, the Foundation targets initiatives which engage youth, and young women in knowledge, ability and technology transfers.
Through a life-long commitment to perseverance and determination on behalf of women and girls in developing nations, Almas has enabled the strengthening of women’s economic capacity as entrepreneurs and producers. As a social enterprise venture the Almas Jiwani Foundation is working to deliver on the critical
conditions which will support the economic, social and political advancement of women and women’s rights.
Almas is a powerful and influential speaker and she continues to travel across the globe to deliver keynote addresses, speeches, and presentations on improving the status of women. She addressed over 400 parliamentarians from 42 countries on the benefits of economically empowering women and the roles and responsibilities of parliamentarians at the International Assembly in the Dominican Republic and Quebec City. More recently, she addressed the Pan Africa Media Conference, Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation, World
Bank, Women in Leadership Forum in Abu Dhabi, African Development Bank conference, and the World Forum alongside Nobel Peace Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu and holistic health/New Age guru Deepak Chopra.
Almas’ powerful international network of colleagues, government officials and industry partners is enabling a new form of social enterprise and innovation capable of very quickly alleviating impacts and delivering sustainable long-term solutions. Leveraging a powerful network to build environmentally conscious projects which light up the future of women and girls with energy, vitality and strength is a strategic advantage.
Targeting young women and girls means focusing on building lasting change for families and communities.
As a renowned advocate and esteemed guest, Ms. Jiwani has made history as a state visitor in Pakistan when she addressed one million women on the topic of gender inequality. She certainly intends to do it again by bringing opportunity, voice, safety and strength to those most desperately in need. The Almas Jiwani Foundation is the social innovation engine that is helping to deliver on a mandate of Entrepreneurship, Equality and Education.
In 2013, Almas was appointed as a member of Magna Carta Canada honorary committee alongside with former Country Prime Ministers and high level political dignitaries. She was also appointed as good will Ambassador of the World NGO.
She is a member of the Global Advisory Board of Women in Leadership – NASEBA Corporation in the Middle East and Dean, Faculty of Law at Istanbul University in Turkey, Pamoja Kenya Mentorship Alliance, Enerdynamic and Global Warming Prevention Technologies.
Almas has gained international recognition and commendations from governments and the media:
- African Women Development Award – ATIGS, USA 2018
- Illuminance Fem-Leader Award – Canada 2018
- Global Leadership Award by the King of Nigeria – 2017
- Women of Influence Award – Jordan 2018
- Queen’s Magna Carta Gold Medal for Human Rights 2017
- UNESCO Canada’s International Champion of Gender Equality Award, Ottawa, Canada 2016
- Naseba’s Women In Leadership Award, Abu Dhabi, UAE – 2015
- Anokhi Media “Excellence in Crusading for Women’s Right” Award – Canada 2015
- Rehma “Champion of Gender Equality” Canada 2014
- International Women Development Champion – Mumbai, India 2014
- Woman Inspire award – Canadian Council of Muslim Women – Canada 2013
- Outstanding contribution to Juvenile Delinquency Canadian Report, Istanbul, Turkey, 2013
- Gender, Environment & Sustainability – GWPT, Canada, 2013
- African Women in Leadership Excellence Award – Nigeria, 2013
- MDG Meritorious Award – Women Advancement -South Africa, 2013
- International African Women Development Award – Paris, France, 2013
- Woman of Courage Award – Interim Place, Canada, 2013 (previous recipients: Jane Fonda & Erin Brockevich)
- Champion of Diversity – Women of Influence, Canada 2012
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal – 2012
- Global Ambassador of Peace – 2012
- Tribute Award -Salon International de la Femme Quebec, 2011
- International Humanitarian Award –Government of Uganda 2010
- Commemorative Stamp, Government of Greece – 2010
- Artemis Goddess Award, Government of Greece – 2010
- Induction into Women’s Hall of Fame- Greece – 2010
- Women of Week – Toronto – 2010
- United Nations Fund for Women “Life Time Honorary Member” Award – 2009
- Governor General’s Caring Award, Governor General of Canada – 2008
- Elected International Spokesperson for Gender Equality, Sophia2010 – 2008
- Women of Substance Recognition, Africa International Trade Conference – 2007
- 15 Years of Voluntary Service, Minister of Citizenship and Immigration – 2006
- “The Stone in Water Award” From Minister of Foreign Affairs for successful execution of the National Afghan Women Roundtable, and the report from the Canadian Committee on Women, Peace and Security – 2005